Wednesday 10 June 2020

Adventures with EVA foam.

Now I am not a cosplayer nor do I make props but for some reason when Kamui Cosplay posted a PDF of how to make skulls with EVA foam I just HAD to do it. 

But I dont have any EVA foam or experience with the stuff....

So after a little bit of research I found where I could get some foam in the UK, along with the foam clay that I wanted to use on the skull: Poly props. I also got some contact adhesive from amazon.

Now I dont have a printer so I thought I could trace the pdf pattern from my monitor if the image was scaled to 100%, it wasn't until I had completed one side of the skull that I realised it was too big. So I popped the pdf on a usb stick and found a photocopier to print the pieces the right size lol.



After working my first attempt, (which wasnt really a failure as I got to practice with the glue on the foam) I started with the face plate part of the skull to be sure it was scaled correctly this time. A few hours later and I had completed the whole top of the skull, the jaw i'm still confused about how it attaches.

Anyway here is its current state:


Next I need to test primers and paints on the scrap bits of foam and also play around with the foam clay as I have never used the stuff before.


I'm using 5mm white foam as I plan on painting this skull as realistic as possible so I thought that a white base would be eaiser to paint instead of black and trying to get it white. Watch this space.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...