Sunday 3 September 2017

It doesn't rain but it pours

This is going to be a wordy post with probably no pics.

So on Friday I sat down to work on some Halloween dragons for my shop. They are going to be a black base with orange accents, now my black fimo is a big 350g block that I've had for a few years and i'm over halfway through it. Its a bit hard so a lot of conditioning is required to get it suitable for making dragon with. The clay is now all rolled into balls and its soft, wonderful, I start working on the body of the first one. I don't really notice that the clay is too soft and its sticky until I start to attach the tail. I'm getting frustrated now as holding the dragon is making it go out of its shape, I can't use my black premo clay as the design I want for these dragons are their tails curled up and premo uncurls in the oven, not helpful. I power through trying not to touch the clay too much as I think the heat from my hands is not helping.

I managed to make one dragon but did not bake its wings as I was planning on doing that the next day. During the night one of the cats gets up onto the desk and knocks the tray with the wings on on to the floor and now I have to remake the wings. Fine, not a problem, oh wait the clay is still stupidly sticky, arg.

I still have two more dragons to make with this clay, so Saturday I start the next one. Somehow the clay is now even more stickier and I am get frustrated trying to shape this next dragon so much so I scrunch the bloody thing up and throw it.

Right now I need a win, I need to restock the shop and get on with my long list of dragons to make. I've just recently bought the whole colour selection of sculpey souffle, so I fish out the black and I make a tiny dragon with a pumpkin. This makes me much happier as now there are two dragons sat waiting to be baked.

I decided to bin off one of the ideas as this black clay is getting me stressed, I power on through the next dragon with the black fimo and so far its sat on the tile halfway made and its ok so far. I decide to call it a day at 6pm yesterday and when I have unbaked clay sat on my desk I cover them with tubs that use to have biscuits and cake things in. They are cleaned out before being used to cover the dragons, except the one I used to cover the dragons I have struggled to make, and baptise them in crumbs........

ARG.

Thankfully I am able to blow off most of the crumbs and it hasn't affected the dragons. Anyway I haven't baked the dragons yet so I am fully expecting more crap to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...